So its the start of the new year and here is my recap on the 5 best of last year
5. The Raid
- first I ignore the chat about it being the most interesting, original form of martial arts of the past 20 years. What you have here is just a great no holds action piece that crosses all languages. Exciting stuff.
- this proved to be a bit of a surprise. I had wanted to see this from the get-go but had to finally catch it on dvd. A fun novel way to use the 'hand held' footage style and a real life element to super powers I haven't enjoyed so much since Unbreakable.
- the biggest surprise of the year. Had no real intention of seeing this in the cinema. Over hyped and I wasnt overly impressed with either Thor or Captain America as individual films. Then BOOM HULK SMASH. Also this was one of the better uses of 3D Ive seen.
- say what you want; Prometheus was the biggest anticipated film in years for many including me. Was it what we wanted; maybe not on first viewing but it was something else. Amazing design work and the usual depth you'd expect from Ridley Scott. Yes there are some muddled bits but for build up, excitement and the world created, I was happy.
1. The Dark Knight Rises
- nothing to say here really. I saw it 3 times in the cinema. It was my first IMAX experience and a great complete ending to a well built story arc.
And an honourable mention as always. This goes to Looper. Joeseph Gordon-Levitt is a great actor and to see him lead in a sci-fi film such as this that deals with time travel with no moment leaving you thinking 'what the...?'. Good film
Oh and 5 stinkers in no particular order
1. Underworld: Awakening - borrrrring
2. Chernobyl Diaries - Letdown
3. Piranha 3DD - double letdown
4. The Watch - funny? not really
5. The Dinosaur Project - clever poster, cheap film