Wednesday 2 November 2016

Model making 1.0

Well this might be my biggest post in a while...

So as some may know, Im a big fan of Nolan's Interstellar. Being a fan in this day and age usually leads to being able to display your fandom via merchandise but it is sadly lacking for this title (something I'm slightly surprised by given it's a WB/Paramount property. Batman/Star Trek anyone...).

And so through searching sites and general 'googling' of typical words I found a company by the name of Moebius Models that had managed to produce a scaled model of the Interstellar Ranger. A ship I happened to have been hoping would be on the merchandise list, it was great to see a company had taken on the creation of this vehicle at an affordable price and ideal scale for the average consumer to stick on a shelf somewhere.

It comes in at around 10 inches long at a 1:72 scale of what would be the real vehicle. I won't get in to the nitty gritty of the build (unless someone wants to read about it) but it was my first ever go at miniature model making and I have to say I loved the whole experience. I can totally get behind people who enjoy building airfix kits. The hidden movie maker inside me saw this as an experiment to build a mniature that could also be used to film with also so maybe I'll do something down the line short of blowing it up...

Here are a bunch of photos that show off some of the stages of the build. I took my sweet time with it as it could probably be built in a day but I took a month doing bits here and there on the weekends.
As it was a first build, I didnt attempt to make an interior like some pros on youtube, instead opting for painting a top down interior in photoshop and printing it out as a flat graphic. Also a mini TARS stands inside it :)

Enjoy

TINTED WINDOWS GLUED IN

TOP PANELLING WITH SOME WEATHERING

WEATHERED VENTING ON UPPER SECTION

UNDERBELLY OF SHIP

EVIT DOOR AT REAR

METALLIC WEATHERED LIMBS

TARS AND INTERIOR PLAN

TARS AND INTERIOR FITTED ON BASE

FINAL BUILD

FINAL BUILD

FINAL BUILD

FINAL BUILD

FINAL BUILD

FINAL BUILD

No comments:

Post a Comment